Tuesday, May 17, 2005

gym

Ever got sucked into "free demo's, free analyses, drop your card here and win a vacation or a house" mall promo's? I did. Lots of times. Times when I was either really interested, or just in a good mood and don't want to be rude. I nearly missed the first fifteen minutes of a (not really good) movie once because of this young girl who's almost ready to cry, trying to convince me to attend their free seminar, and I could win a brand new house. I think they were trained to be tenacious. And I think they got into a lawsuit, too. For not awarding the house for reasons of technicality.

Now back to my gym story.......I got sucked into the slimmer's wolrd program once because of this free assessment/analyses that they were doing in Glorrietta for the new branch they were opening. I was curious, I wanted to lose weight, and I want to start being healthy (eyes rolling, tongue-in-cheek). Anyways, before I knew better, I was giving this girl my entire mid-year bonus and signing a contract. The euphoria and the adrenalin got to me too, and since the mall was having a midnight sale, I bought cycling shorts (which was the "in" gym outfit then), and some oversized shirt (I made sure my butt was covered), new running shoes, I think some new socks, too. I was really into it.

I did get to use the new amenities, I'd say about 1-2 months. However, my friend who thought she had better use for the money, of course she was slim, and kept dragging me and cutting my gym hours short to go the mall, movies, eat..... And then, the nice location attracted more people and we had to sign up for our turn for the equipments. And, of course, I was going alone, which meant I had to do the routine alone (no Ipod yet, and an antishock CD playes was way too expensive back then, not to mention the cd's themselves). So eventually, I stopped going. That was 7 years ago.

In 2003, the apartment we lived in had a gym. I was so excited because I vowed that this time, I will try to use it. I used it once, in the whole year that we were there. I used the pool twice. Last year, we moved to another apartment. The gym is complete (or almost complete). I ran the treadmill once, in the whole year we were there. Never used the pool.
I don't know what's with this year, but I am now enjoying the gym more that I thought I would. Maybe it's the promise of a slimmer (?) body, or because I had companions who seem to enjoy it as much as I do, or maybe it was just.....I don't know.
Right now, I'm just happy that I have gone more than once in the past month, and I intend to do it more often (cross my fingers).

And that's the end of my story, which I concocted while running a 7.5 incline on the treadmill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home